Free Online Screening
Many students come to University with an undiagnosed specific learning difference.
We offer all applicants the opportunity to do an online screening for Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Visual Sensitivity before they arrive to make sure they receive specific support. If you are completing this screening as part of your online induction, your results will be assessed promptly, but potential referrals will be done after you have enrolled on your course.
Why undertake the screening?
Students with a specific learning difference (SpLD) are much more likely to succeed, and at a higher level, if they use strategies and techniques appropriate to the way they learn. Don't just take our word for it, see what a graduate has to say about it:
I was identified as dyslexic in my third year and finally shown methods of study that suited my learning style as well as software that helped me structure, organise and proof my work. I went from getting 2:2 grades to solid firsts. If I hadn’t been identified, I may have still managed to graduate, but would not have succeeded to the level I did. I only wish that I had been identified sooner.
- Jim Keane, University of Hull Graduate
By taking the screening your results will be evaluated and in some cases can lead to a referral for a full Diagnostic Assessement for SpLDs
Final year students
Please note; due to the time it takes for a full diagnostic assessment and support provision to be put in place, we will be unable to refer students during their final semester (after the Christmas holiday for a September to June course). However, we will still provide an initial screening, which may be used in some circumstances for reasonable adjustments to support your academic study.
Using the Screener
- It is best to undertake the screening in a quiet environment where you will not be disturbed for the duration of the tests (most users complete in under half an hour).
- We recommend you do not use this tool on devices with screens smaller than 7 inches.
- If you experience visual sensitivity you can alter the background colour by using the drop down menu at the top of the page. This will not affect the test.
- Some of the tests use spoken audio, so please ensure that audio plays clearly on your device.